Partial Hospitalization Programs (PHP) are designed to help patients who are struggling with mental conditions or drug and alcohol addiction and are not yet ready for an intensive outpatient program. Partial hospitalization treatments have been around for a while and were once referred to as day hospitals during their early conceptual stage in the 1960s.
These programs were intended to aid the recovery of those with severe psychological disorders while providing them with a community to support sobriety and ease reintegration into society. The day hospital programs were redesigned and renamed to be Partial Hospitalization Programs (PHP) in the 1980s.
Although a Partial Hospitalization Program is still primarily used to treat patients with mental illnesses, there has been a push to include substance abuse as a condition that these programs treat. When it comes to addiction, the treatment plan aims to attack the condition regarding mental and behavioral issues. This is why it has tremendous potential to be an effective option for patients with substance abuse disorders.
How Partial Hospitalization Treatment Works
The process of Partial Hospitalization is similar to that of other psychiatric or substance abuse treatment programs but at a unique and integral level of care. PHP provides slightly more support than an intensive outpatient program and is slightly less intensive than inpatient treatment.
A patient will be assigned to a PHP program after they have been hospitalized to determine whether they are in the state to be discharged from the hospital. It is a stepping stone between being an inpatient and an outpatient program and is intended to prevent relapse.
Criteria for an inpatient to be subjected to a PHP treatment Near Boca Raton:
- There is diagnosis documentation to show the medical and treatment history.
- The individual needs consistent medical monitoring but is stable enough to go overnight without monitoring.
- The patient is not at risk of self-harm, including relapse
- The patient requires detox treatments for the substances during the day.
- The patient is in the physical, psychological, and emotional state to receive and tolerate several hours of continuous therapy.
- The patient is not ready to be reintegrated into society and does not have family support yet does not require inpatient treatment.
- The patient suffers from co-occurring disorders, such as addiction and bipolar disorder, or depression and anxiety.
PHP offers the most benefit for those who require medical detox from the substance they are on if they do not pose a threat of relapse. Additionally, if the patient shows signs of severe withdrawal from the substance, they may not be eligible for PHP treatment and would be better suited for inpatient treatment.
To ensure safety, the patient has to go through the 24-hours of medical monitoring, which will determine whether they are in the state to receive PHP treatment.
What does a Partial Hospitalization Treatment Near Boca Raton Involve?
The PHP program is a multidisciplinary treatment plan incorporating the treatment principle from many different medical fields. Listed below are some of the medical staff that will be involved with the PHP treatment plan to help you or your loved one get sober and stay sober:
- Social workers
- Group therapy workers
- Occupational therapists
- Peer support workers
- Recreational therapists
We believe mental healthcare is a big part of the addiction recovery journey. That’s why our Boca Raton facility prioritizes professional mental health care workers to ensure individuals get to the root of the issue.
Partial Hospitalization Treatment Plans
The treatment plan for the PHPs will vary from patient to patient. At Harmony Outpatient, we prioritize customized care that helps each individual with their specific needs. Some patients may be required to come in to receive treatment at the wellness resource center only two days per week for a few hours each session, while others may have to return up to five days per week for 4 to 8 hours each. The most hours a patient can legally receive for the PHP program is 50 hours per week, while the average is around 20.
PHP treatments help to prevent patients who are struggling with substance abuse from being hospitalized to have a chance to recover from the addiction at their own pace in a positive environment. Some people have a hard time adjusting to life in a hospital, causing them to be more stressed and anxious, increasing the likelihood of craving and the possibility of a relapse. Our programs offer a different approach to addiction treatment, allowing patients to receive the type of quality care they need.
Who is a Partial Hospitalization Program Designed to Help?
- People who struggle with substance abuse but have support from home, their community, or loved ones.
- People who are facing drug and alcohol addiction and do not have dangerous withdrawal symptoms such as delirium tremens.
- People who require flexibility in their treatment schedule to accommodate responsibility
- Ambulatory people (i.e., physically capable of transporting themselves to and from the program)
- People who do not pose any threats to themselves or others
- People who can manage medications on their own.
Taking the Next Step: Partial Hospitalization Program Near Boca Raton
If you believe you or a loved one may benefit from partial hospitalization treatment, reach out to our wellness resource center anytime. For the right individual, a hospitalization program could be the level of care needed for lasting recovery.
If you have additional questions about Harmony’s Partial Hospitalization Program and whether our outpatient treatment programs are a better fit, we are happy to answer your questions. Together, we can develop a treatment process that meets your needs. Call today.